SciCom at Waterloo
The Scientific Computation Group (or "SciCom") is a research group within the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science in the Faculty of Mathematics at the University of Waterloo focused on scientific computing. We also have affiliations with the Department of Applied Mathematics. Several of us are cross-appointed to Applied Math, and we accept graduate students in computer science, computational mathematics, and applied math.
Our core goals are (1) to make research contributions to computing for engineering, scientific, medical, entertainment, and financial applications, including the development of techniques and algorithms; (2) to incorporate this research into effective software; and (3) to train highly skilled graduate students in the fundamental tools of scientific computing.
Members of our group are interested in a diverse range of techniques and applications of computational science. Some focus areas include:
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Computational Finance
- Computational Methods for Optimization
- Computational Neuroscience
- Data Mining and Network Analysis
- Light Transport and Rendering
- Medical Image Processing
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- Numerical Solutions of Partial Differential Equations
- Physics-Based Animation for Computer Graphics